I want to talk again about Marina Keegan. Because the words she wrote float around in my head. She asked the questions I ask. But she could do it more eloquently than I could. Because, well, writing was her gift.
She wrote:
Nicholas Kristof wrote about her and gives us some good things to think about.
It took me forever to finally decide on a college degree. Ms. Keegan may have figured out what she wanted to do by 22, but I am just now getting that figured out. She and I were just a few weeks apart in age. I've been out of high school long enough to get a graduate degree or two, but I had no clue what to do with my life. It's so expensive out here, and I didn't know how I could support myself and also be happy with my life. And I wasn't willing to go get a college degree for the sake of getting on. Especially since I have financed my own college education.
And so years, of asking myself questions. While working on my AA, and working to work, and working in a job I actually loved. And working in a career I felt mattered. Even if it wasn't what I wanted to do forever.
What is fulfilling?
Does my work matter?
Am I pursuing something that makes me happy, and will I still feel the same way when I retire?
How do I affect other people with my work?
Can I alter the way I go about my work to make it more fulfilling?
It took way too long to figure out what I want. Way too long to know that now it may be longer till I can go to school.
Being a twenty-something can really suck
She wrote:
Standing outside a freshman dorm, I couldn’t find a single student aspiring to be a banker – but at commencement this May, there’s a 50 percent chance I’ll be sitting next to one. This strikes me as incredibly sad.
Nicholas Kristof wrote about her and gives us some good things to think about.
It took me forever to finally decide on a college degree. Ms. Keegan may have figured out what she wanted to do by 22, but I am just now getting that figured out. She and I were just a few weeks apart in age. I've been out of high school long enough to get a graduate degree or two, but I had no clue what to do with my life. It's so expensive out here, and I didn't know how I could support myself and also be happy with my life. And I wasn't willing to go get a college degree for the sake of getting on. Especially since I have financed my own college education.
And so years, of asking myself questions. While working on my AA, and working to work, and working in a job I actually loved. And working in a career I felt mattered. Even if it wasn't what I wanted to do forever.
What is fulfilling?
Does my work matter?
Am I pursuing something that makes me happy, and will I still feel the same way when I retire?
How do I affect other people with my work?
Can I alter the way I go about my work to make it more fulfilling?
It took way too long to figure out what I want. Way too long to know that now it may be longer till I can go to school.
Being a twenty-something can really suck
No comments:
Post a Comment